Westside Children’s Therapy seeks a speech therapist who has a wear-it-on-their-sleeves passion for working with kids with disabilities. They will provide the highest level of treatment to kids, collaborate with four other therapy disciplines, make Westside families extremely happy, and grow to become the best therapist they can be.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – an ability to build relationships quickly with parents and families. The first impression is key and you should be great at making families feel great about Westside.
- Effective communication skills – an ability to engage productively in new conversations with families, clients, and co-workers.
- Strong ethical and moral compass – having instincts to always do right by co-workers, patients, families, and medical professionals and to never stray from the business’s core mission of helping families
- Genuine passion for helping children with special needs – if knowing that your efforts are impacting the lives of children with special needs doesn’t truly warm your heart, then this is NOT the role for you
- Enormous sense of possibility and an unwavering can-do attitude – a challenge should excite you. We are looking for problem-solvers who are eager to “figure out a way” when given problems to solve.
- Humility – an inclination to give credit to others when things go well and to look to self as a possible source of blame when things go wrong.
Speech-Language Pathologist Responsibilities
Responsibility #1: Manage a Caseload of Patients
- Westside caseloads range from 25-30 treatments hours each week.
- Your time would be split – 75% percent of your time would be directed to hour-long treatment sessions with clients and 25% of your time would be spent writing documentation.
Responsibility #2: Provide Quality Treatment and Educate Families
- Our speech therapists facilitate children in establishing the speech and language skills vital for effective communication. This is achieved through the evaluation and treatment of expressive and receptive language, problem solving and reasoning, social skills, sign language, and augmentative communication (communication devices, PECs, etc). Our therapists also work with children on their pre-speech and feeding skills, swallowing, and oral-motor development. We strive to assist kids in finding his or her ‘voice’.
- Treatment meets the patient’s goals and needs and the therapist provides quality care by assessing and interpreting evaluations and test results
- Determine speech therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians.
- Ensure you are getting your SOAP notes, Progress Notes, and evals submitted in compliance.
- Support each kids’ progression and achievements. Provide continual feedback to families and give parents exercises or activities they can perform at home.
Responsibility #3: Make Families Happy
- Westside’s primary responsibility is to make families happy. Anybody who comes through the front door should be treated as part of our Westside Family.
- Westside values relationships with its clients and families. You need to go out of your way to make sure families feel the warm Westside welcome.
Responsibility #4: Collaborate with Other Disciplines
- Collaborate with other disciplines to ensure team understanding of student performance strengths and needs, through evaluation, educational program planning, and service delivery.
- Promote continuity of care across disciplines. Remind team to work with other discipline therapists to avoid contradictions.
Responsibility #5: Contribute to the Team
- Participate in weekly team meetings. Meetings typically discuss caseloads, new patients, new ideas, team outings, etc.
- Participation in these meetings is extremely important to increase the quality of care for the kids.
Responsibility #6: Grow as a Therapist
- Participates in continuing education for professional development to ensure therapy quality is improving.
- Employees are invited to participate in yearly career conversations with managers. Career goals, promotion opportunities, and current performance are discussed in these meetings. We make sure you are on track to get where you want to be.